Saturday, December 6, 2014

American Goldfinch


Sighted:  November 26, 2014

I was trying to photograph a White-breasted Nuthatch and a Dark-eyed "Oregon" Junco (which I will share in later posts) when this dusky little yellow bird quickly swooped in and out - thankfully stepped forward to pick up a seed and came a bit more into focus.

I believe this is a female American Goldfinch - their winter colors are duller and the wing markings are what led me to label it as such.   The male is quite striking with its black cap and wing markings & has quite a bold yellow body - is actually one of the most colorful American birds, but in winter the male is duller like the female.

HERE are recordings of the delightful twittering sounds it makes.

One birding book I really like is The Nature Company Guide BIRDING by Forshaw, Howell, Lindsey, & Stallcup.  It has detailed chapters for the new birder (that's me) and helpful and useful information on the birds themselves.  It is a big hardback, not suitable for packing along, but it has earned a spot on my bedside table.



No comments:

Post a Comment