Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Red Bellied Woodpecker


Sighted:  November 25, 2014

A nice fall day at the local bog garden.  Plenty of cardinals and "little brown birds" that I have yet to learn their identities.  This is one of two woodpeckers I saw on my first day of birding.  (second official bird I checked off the list).  It is a red-bellied woodpecker.   I've walked this bog trail many times with my dog and I've never noticed them before.  I also saw a downy woodpecker was unable to get a good photograph.

This handsome fellow did not come to the bird feeder like the other birds but flitted about in the tree tops.  I know they will feed at feeders, so perhaps my son and I scared him off.   My field guide said to look for this bird at middle height and along main branches and trunks of trees.

HERE is a link to this woodpecker's calls, drums, kwirr call, fledglings begging for food and the cha call sounds.  I've heard this call in my own back yard - I never knew it was a woodpecker.  

Below is a photo from the following day (Nov 26).  A gentleman walked by spreading sunflower seeds (I think that's what it is) and low and behold - another Red Bellied Woodpecker!  Not the sharpest image as they seemingly like to dine and dash. But two sightings in two days - just goes to show you how unobservant I have been in the past.


2 comments:

  1. Margaret, hello. My name is (Ms.) Darryl McGrath, and I am the author of a new book called "Flight Paths: A Field Journal of Hope, Heartbreak, and Miracles with New York's Bird People," which was published February 1, 2016, by SUNY Press (State University of New York Press). I believe you have mentioned my book on your blog, but I have not been able to find the mention. I saw it on Google. If you could kindly direct me to the citation on your blog, I would really appreciate it. I'm very interested in getting the word out about my book, which tells the story of the great rescue efforts that saved the Peregrine Falcon and Bald Eagle from extinction. If you would like to contact me, and perhaps post a Q&A on your blog with me about the book, I can be reached at Darryllee@aol.com. Thank you! Your blog is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look for it here on my blog - I don't recall it, but I haven't posted here for a while. This blog is on a bit of a hiatus as we moved and I had to leave my backyard woodland behind - but I will resume once we move to the mountains. I will also love to buy your book - I travel to NYC quite a few times each year.

      Delete